Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Define "Prank"

I could blog on and on about Justin Bieber. Ever since Elise and Sarah saw that movie, there's been a lot of never-saying-never in this house. Not to mention the fact I attend a school thriving in the species of squealing teenage girls. But because all I hear about these days is his new perfume commercial, I wasn't anxious to drag the subject in the front door with me and blog about it.

Don't get me wrong, I watched the movie too, but let's just say Bieber is like an Orabrush commercial or raspberry chocolate- it's best in very small doses.

"Gall," Dad said last night, making me pause as I opened the internet and felt guilty about ignoring my blog.

"What?"

"I can't . . . get Bieber out of my head!" he said, and went back to chopping fish and whistling Baby. Fish and Baby happened to be two of my least favorite things in the world right then, and while I can avoid eating fish, I couldn't stop humming Bieber songs either.

I guess that’s my fault. Last night, Elise and I stole Dad’s iPod and played a very late April Fool’s Day prank on him, or a very early Father’s Day prank. We took every playlist off his iPod, leaving a new one we bought with one of Elise’s iTunes gift cards. It was titled, “Love, LAUREN AND ELISE”, and was nothing but Bieber. We spared no expense . . . well, within our eight dollar budget. We bought everything from Never Say Never to U Smile, and for the icing on the cake, I even bought (Gonna Be) Justin Bieber’s Girlfriend. You know, because I REALLY want to be caught singing that under my breath in English class, along with the girls reading his autobiography under the table and wearing his face on their t-shirts.

We thought it would be funny- that he might find it on his way to work or something. But this morning, Elise shook me awake to tell me that Dad just left to exercise- with his iPod. Poor guy, I thought, as I groaned for Elise to leave me alone until ten (maybe 10:15 . . . it was a holiday . . .) and drifted back to sleep. He’ll have nothing to listen to but One Less Lonely Girl. I hoped no one heard what was on his earbuds while he ran.

I snuck downstairs and sat with the girls in the theater room, waiting for Dad to come home. He banged open the door and yelled, “J. B. in da house!” and Elise giggled like a maniac. He told us he actually had been wanting to make a Justin Bieber playlist for a while, but he hadn't gotten round to it.

So, you know, that kind of destroys the idea of a "prank".

Life lesson learned: before you prank someone, know their taste in music front to back. The way back.

4 comments:

  1. Definition = something awesome one does to fool someone else. Especially as used by uncles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so on top of this Greg- sorry you missed the actual post . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Next thing you know your dad is going to be busting out some JB dance moves. Please tell me there is a Bieber dance game for the Wii . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well let's face it - Anna's already got choreography to that Justin Beiber's girlfriend song.

    Hey - can I put that playlist on my ipod? Don't judge.

    ReplyDelete